Friday, April 1, 2011

So I saw a taco truck...

Okay not really but while I was driving to go pay my vehicle registration this morning I heard on the radio about the Food Truck Festival that was going to be held at Santa Anita Park on April 2nd. And by food trucks I'm not just talking about those devilishly delicious but oh so bad for you taco and burrito roach coaches that you find in the alleys and backstreets and industrial areas throughout Los Angeles but also of the newer flavours that have appeared over the last few years. Sushi trucks and nacho trucks, cheesesteak trucks and burger trucks, barbecue trucks and rib trucks, pretty much anything and everything you can imagine will be represented there and boy will it be a truck foodies wetdream come true. And that got me thinking.

No, not about being hungry or food trucks or even betting on the horses but on food, or to be more specific a food festival. Since we have been blessed with a gastrointestinal system that has been declared war upon by our immune system we have the unfortunate need to be far more cautious and aware of what we consume. Nutritionists and dietitians hate us since their carefully crafted and created diet plans are foiled by our inability to eat granola or lettuce or beans or whatever healthy thing they want you to nibble on instead of those chicken nuggets.

And so I began to get an idea. Yeah I know, my ideas tend to lead to more trouble than they are worth but please bear with me. I know that we have been trying to create some sort of large event, an event that will distinguish the OC enough from L.A. so that it could have it's own CCFA chapter. Darrin and Wendy and Allison and Joslynn have been hard at work trying to find a band or a comedian or some sort of act to raise money and show that the OC is capable of handling it's own chapter. And so back to the food festival idea.

What if we held a food festival, but not just any kind of food festival. Forget about the fried Oreos and chili cookoffs and barbecue do or dies, I'm talking about organic, gluten free, community garden/farm, Vegan, Vegetarian and health specialized foods. Still with me? We are fortunate to have plenty of Trader Joes, Fresh & Easy, Sprouts and several other healthier type of grocery stores in the OC, there is also Whole Foods and Wild Oats and countless of mom and pop grocers. Then there are the celebrity cooks and chefs that specialize in this type of cuisine.

Now the questions is, is it feasible? Yes, I know it's kind of, I want to say ironic, that a group that caters to people with GI issues would sponsor such an event but at the same time it makes sense in that you can bring dietary awareness to those who suffer from and IBD and show them that they don't have to change their habits to a water and water diet. And that's why I'm tossing the idea out for you guys to look at and (pardon the pun) digest and see if it's worth doing.

Any and all feedback on this matter would be appreciated, logistically it would require some work and lots and lots of planning, but I don't think that it's a far-fetched or impossible idea. Let me know what you think people.

No comments:

Post a Comment