Monday, April 4, 2011

How life's little lessons can teach you a world of experience.

Over the last week or so I have heard been hearing a small screeching sound from the front passenger side tire. Thinking that it was possibly the brakes warning me that it was time to change them I waited until the weekend to look at them as that was the only day I had free. Sunday came and I raised my truck only to discover that the brakes were fine, but something else wasn't.


If you look at the picture where the legs of the upside down A looking part hooks on to the vehicle you would notice that the right side is almost completely removed from the rubber bushings that it houses. The only thing stopping the part from completely coming off and leading to disastrous results was that some designer decided to place two bolts in such a way to prevent such thing from happening.

For those that don't know much about cars let me explain what would have most likely happened in this situation had the bolts not held. I drive an average of 200 or so miles a week, most of it on freeway and most of the time I drive in excess of 80 miles per hour. Yeah I know I'm bad. Had the part failed then the vehicle as well as the three other wheels would have been pointing forward while the wheel that this is attached to would have most likely decided to point to the right causing a spectacular roll over that would have most likely tested the integrity of the vehicle far beyond any test performed by Nissan. Furthermore on the highway at a high rate of speed the likelihood of my steel tumbleweed smashing into other cars and causing a horrific chain reaction would have been most certain.

Now what point am I trying to get to with this example? That's easy. Our bodies are our vehicle and we are our own drivers and sometimes we hear strange things, or feel strange things and most often than not we put off getting them checked out because we assume that it's nothing big. And although most of the time that is the case there are those few times when it's not what we thought it was but instead something far, far worse that could have been preventable. So take it from me, when you get those strange aches and pains, when you feel odd or something just doesn't feel right don't be afraid to get checked out by your GI or doctor, sure it may be nothing more than gas but all the same better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment